It’s cast a charm spell on everyone who’s seen it in action – rolling, tumbling, bobbing along as if its electronic life depended on it.
Of course, we’re talking about BB-8, the already much-beloved droid from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Here’s how we first saw BB-8:
The BB-8 droid has a fan following, months before the film’s release! (Image: Walt Disney Studios)
And now comes the mind-blowing news from toymaker Sphero that you can get your own BB-8 droid. (Just the thing for that hard-to-please “Star Wars” fan…)
Check it out:
BB-8’s Impressive Balancing Act
It’s amazing what kind of wild inventions can be created by those who learn robotics and other tech skills. Although we don’t know everything yet about the BB-8 droid from Sphero, here’s what we do know:
- Bluetooth-enabled: And reacts to voice commands.
- Sixty-minute battery life: Three hours of charging time yields one hour of play time.
- Built-in video camera: Can be used for recording, sending or watching holographic videos.
- Charging base: Has round, ring-like charging base where droid sits when not in use.
- App-enabled: Guide it with your iPhone or iPad. (The app plays “Star Wars” music themes.)
- Gyroscopic propulsion: It bounces and bobs along just like the BB-8 we’ve seen in the Star Wars trailers.
- 30-meter range: Design an extended route for BB-8 to follow.
Catch the Force
The BB-8 droid toy from Sphero is just one indication of the “Star Wars” fever already in full swing, months before its release in theaters. Check back at this site for breaking news and developments about Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
And if you’re interested in sci-fi blockbusters and want to learn visual effects for them, check into Digital Media Academy’s full slate of filmmaking camps and visual effects courses.